Thursday, October 1, 2009

harbinger

har·bin·ger (här'bĭn-jər)
n.
One that indicates or foreshadows what is to come; a forerunner.
tr.v., -gered, -ger·ing, -gers.
To signal the approach of; presage.


I am a person who loves trees. Every year there is one day when I feel completely shellshocked to look up and find that they have no leaves left. Every year I don't know how that happens - I'm outside every day and I love trees. Do I forget to pay attention? What am I so busy doing, looking at, thinking about?

This little transition is quick, sometimes alarmingly so. I am doing my very best to pay extremely close attention this year. I am noticing the leaves as they fall and what color they are, and how many are in little gatherings on the pavement under trees, and how many are caught up in mini gusts of dirty city air blowing by me. I don't want to miss it again. This will likely be my last Asian Autumn, and I should really do well to remember it. I vow not to multitask my way through my morning bike rides to work, when I think the air is most indicative of the fall to come. The old expression about taking time to smell the roses. I think I need to take time to watch the trees.

Also in the spirit of fall, I am joining my gang for a weekend on an island this weekend for Chuseok. We will not wear hanbok, give monetary gifts, bow to each other, or eat rice cakes. There will be barbecued vegetables, lots of green, card games, beer, mountain hikes, and lake views. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been suffering the physical manifestations of stress lately, which is, as always, awful yet so fascinating.
Weekends out of the city are so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment